At times I'm one for letting myself get really down in the dumps. It's really hard having to have a grown up job that your heart just isn't in so you can pay the bills when all you long for is to use your creative skills to earn a living and sometimes I let that eat me up. When that happens I see to spiral into sadness for a few weeks and then something in my head will click and I'll force myself to see all the things I'm lucky to have in my life, no matter how small or insignificant they may seem.
I know that I'm not the only one to feel this way and even if you don't get sad for the same reasons as me I know we all go through a period of sadness every now and again. Here's the list of what is currently making me happy, why don't you doodle down your own list to look at any time you're feeling blue?
1) Sitting with Pete and having a freshly made cappucino and a caramel waffle cookie on Saturday mornings.
2) Cuddles with Cleo.
3) Being able to afford our pretty little cottage, bills and food.
Even though I get down about money every now and again because we can't afford holidays and I can't buy a better car I should feel lucky that we never have to scrape together the money for our rent and bills. Sure sometimes we have to have a month of not so nice dinners, but at least we can still afford dinners unlike an awful lot of people in the world and I shouldn't forget that.
4) Having great parents and parents in law that are supportive and loving.
I've been kind of blown away reading people's posts about being bullied by their parents recently. Sure they didn't like a lot of the hair styles I chose when I was younger but they're never put pressure on me about my weight. They've helped me with diets when I've wanted to do them but never tried to force me into it or say unkind things.
5) Having lovely friends.
I purposefully only keep in touch with people who are kind, intelligent, open minded, lovely individuals as I don't see the need to have people in your life that you don't really want there. Don't surround yourself with negative and unsupportive people, I made that change over the last few years and I can honestly say that it's lovely not to have drama in my life or be forced to put an act on in front of certain people. My friends love me for me and I love them for them, no need for fronts or lies.
6) Working in a great team of people I really like.
7) Having adventures booked in throughout the rest of the year so I have lots to look forward to.
8) It's sunny for once!
9) Now I've had my birth control implant removed last week I'm already feeling 70% less like a crazy person! (sorry if TMI!)
10) Having a great relationship still loving my boyfriend just as much, if not more, than when we first got together over five years ago.
11) Out little garden is lovely on a sunny morning, we just need to get the elderflower tree branches to the tip so I can sit out there again!
12) Sipping tasty cocktails on a summer evening is the best.
13) I can see roses from the window in my home office and they're gorgeous!
14) Walks around town on a Saturday morning are my favourite.
15) I love feeling like a real little family when Pete and I snuggle up on the sofa to watch a movie and Cleo climbs up to sleep on my side.
Posted by Nancy Whittington-Coates